What an end to the 12 day long agitations in the Telangana Region of AP state. The mid night celebrations started after Union Home Minister Mr. Chidambaram announced the starting of process of formation of a separate state was being set into motion and that a resolution to this effect would be moved in the Andhra Pradesh assembly shortly. This is a welcome news for everyone after fortnight of tense and situations.
A similar agitation in the year 1969 has been crushed with the firing of 400 students . Now it is the sacrifices of 30 students and youth and the continuous peaceful agitation by students, political parties, employees that bent the government to take a favorable decision.
The worst of all this was the lathi charge against the students in OU(This is the turning point as it made all other students, political parties, employees in the Telangana region to join the movement). They were ruthlessly cornered and beaten. Even the women in the Manikeshwar Nagar(adjacent to OU) were beaten. This further strengthened the resolve of the students and got wide spread support from all the people.
Thanks to the Central Government for the quick decision, people in the Hyderabad can have some peace.
If we look at why Telangana region is backward. For this we can site many reasons.
1. Telangana was under the oppressive rule of Nizams before the independance while the Andhra region was under the Britishers. There was no education, governments in the T region while there was overall development in the A region. The reason for Britishers not annexing the Nizams is because the T region was not near to the coast and not so strategic economically or administation wise. So Nizam’s collected hefty taxes from the people, part of which they had to pay to the Britishers.
2. The late release of the Telangana region: Telangana joined the Indian Republic only in 1951 after the Indian troops led by late Vallabhai Patel defeated the Nizams.
3. There were no powerful leaders from the Telangana region after the immediate formation Andhra Pradesh state who could lobby for the regions development.
4. Not adequate educated people from the region immediately available to fill the Government posts and other jobs.
5. And No adequate water resources though both Krishna and Godavari flow through the region.
6. May be a little bit of people’s attitude. and Many more.